Monday, December 21, 2009

Shields' job

Calls have begun again for Steve Shields to be replaced. I have mixed feelings about it. I like Shields and I hope he makes it. I think he has been good for the program. He has achieved at a high level and has run a clean program. The only hits against him are that he has not been to post-season and that he “does not play an exciting brand of basketball.” Since I prefer more deliberate styles, that last is in his favor, in my view. However, it may be true that the program needs some momentum. The injury to Mike Smith really set this off, which is not fair to Shields, because with Mike the outlook on this year likely would be entirely different.

I just hope we don’t end up with playground ball or someone who brings in a bunch of questionable characters just to put up wins.

No comments: