Wednesday, April 3, 2013

What I look for in stats

I look at a lot of basketball stat sheets in the course of a year, and here is how I evaluate teams.

1. Overall shooting percentage. I like to see them over 45%, and over 50% as a team is outstanding.

2. Three-point percentage. I like to see a team at least 35%, and over 40% is really hard to defense.

3. FT% should be at least 70%, and when a team gets over 75% they are exceptional.

4. I like to see at least a 3-rebound margin over opponents, and a plus-5 really pleases me.

5. A positive assist/turnover ratio as a team means that they find the open man and take care of the ball.

6. I like to see the opponents' FG% in the low 40% range, and hopefully below 40%.

7. Opponents' 3PT% needs to be below 33%, and hopefully below 30%. In today's game this is a critical number.

8. If the opponents' A/TO ratio is positive, it means that they are not doing much to disrupt their perimeter game.

No comments: