Saturday, January 10, 2015

Scoring droughts

One of the most interesting things to me is when everyone on a good-shooting team seems to go cold at the same time. Do not ask me what causes this, but it is a fairly common phenomenon. It occurs to me that teams with a solid inside game are less likely to go cold than those who live on the outside, simply because the inside players are taking higher-percentage shots and also have a greater chance of shooting free throws. Few people seem to pay much attention to the inside game these days, but it would seem to me that it would tend to fill in the valleys that come from cold shooting nights.

I am watching the thread on the Pittsburgh at Clemson game, and Pitt has gone six minutes without a basket. Those stretches are frustrating and sometimes ruinous. Would a post game help shrink that problem? I wonder.

No comments: