Sunday, February 11, 2018

Not good odds

I have absolutely no inside information, but I would say that there is no better than a 50/50 chance of Wes Flanigan surviving this season.

On the plus side is the fact that he still has a year remaining on his contract, and Chasse may be reluctant to fire him before it runs out. For that matter, the AD may figure to give him the full run of his contract just as a matter of principle. Also, Flanigan, Sr., evidently has a lot of pull in the community, and it is always tougher to fire a local figure, especially with several central Arkansas players on the roster.

On the minus side is the fact that we have already lost 21 games (including one to a non-D1 team), with at least six games remaining to play. If we lose them all, we would be 5-27, and that is UGLY, especially with one of those wins against a non-D1 team. Attendance has held up better than I thought it would, but retaining Wes would almost guarantee that it would fall off next season even further, and I do not know how much the budget could stand that. Plus, Conque already has egg on his face, and another season like this one might change the projectiles to hard-boiled eggs. It feels like a "cut your losses" situation.

A few wins down the stretch might change the landscape, but I would say as things stand now I would not be planning a new wing on my house, if I were Wes.

No comments: