Sunday, January 10, 2016

The defense is just better these days

I have watched the film of the Trojans' 1986 victory over Notre Dame, and of the great UCLA teams of the 1960's and 1970's, and of Pete Maravich's days. I hope it will not wound the feelings of my fellow fans of those days, but the defense today just seems a lot more intense than it was back then. There was not that in-your-face, physical, challenging feel to defense back then. Perhaps it was more than merely symbolic - I would not go that far - but the better half-court defenses these days are like a war zone, and take no prisoners. I do not get that impression while watching the play from a of generation or two ago. Just one man's impressions. Perhaps that is in fact what the Powers That Be in NCAA basketball are trying to reverse by decree these days.

No comments: