Saturday, February 18, 2017

I don't apologize

I do not apologize for not being a Razorback fan. I do not feel badly when I root against them. I do not in the least feel guilty about it. Do Auburn fans apologize for rooting against Alabama? Do Michigan State fans apologize for rooting against Michigan?

The arrogance of Razorback fans is revealed in the fact that many would reply that I am not comparing apples with apples. "After all, the other universities in Arkansas are not really to be considered in the national sports scene. They are just afterthoughts. We are the only team worthy of serious consideration."

Even my own 88-year-old mother has unwittingly contracted the Swine disease. We were riding together in the car a while back, listening to a ballgame on the radio, and I commented that I hoped the Porkers lost, and she seemed to be offended. "That unpatriotic," she said. I told her that that very attitude is the reason I no longer root for Fayetteville. I used to. I used to enjoy it. But I just got sick of the sneering, condescending, monopolistic attitude of Razorback fans. So now I root against them. And I do not apologize for it.

No comments: