Saturday, December 30, 2017

The case of Wes Flanigan

I held off my final opinion until I had seen this year's team in person. Now I have.

Unless something happens that I do not at all foresee, Wes Flanigan will not survive this season. RealtimeRPI projects us to finish the regular season 7-24. I just cannot see Chasse being willing to have another try at 24 losses. Attendance will be poor at best. I do not know anything about our financial situation, but surely we can afford to buy out one year of Wes' contract. If so, we need to do it and move on. And we need to be ready to move the day the season is over so the next coach can have time to get things ready.

We are not just bad, we are AWFUL. We are embarrassing. I will say here what I have said many times: if we were losing ballgames just because we are outclassed, that is OK. It happens sometimes and I can live with that. But we are just not playing good basketball, and there is no excuse for that. Wes has had a semester to get this team whipped into whatever kind of shape they are capable of playing, and we still look like a junior high team.

Many excellent assistant coaches cannot translate into a decent head coach. Wes evidently could not bridge that gap. Too bad. It would have been very nice to have had a Little Rock coach for Little Rock's team, but things do not always turn out the way we wished.

No comments: