Thursday, June 12, 2008

Why I like defense

Although I am not a coach nor a guru of the details of the game, in the two sports I follow to any degree, it is not the things that get on Sports Center that interest me. Take baseball: if I want to see home runs, I'll go to batting practice. Really exciting, isn't it, to watch a man jog around the basepaths? Not! Defense and the other subtleties of the sports are the things most fans don't catch very well - and thus do not clamor for - but the things which make the sports really interesting. A well-turned double play. The extra effort to stretch a double into a triple. Being in the right position on the field before the pitch it made, and on and on. Same way in basketball. That is why, to me, home runs and dunks are BORING. You can watch those on any playground.

No comments: