Thursday, May 28, 2009

Why I am glad to be a Trojan fan

Why do I like being a Little Rock Trojan fan? Lots of reasons. Here are a just a few:

The Trojans are underdogs. Anyone in Arkansas who is not Fayetteville is an underdog. I have always loved underdogs.
As a fan, I do not get lost in the crowd. There will be 4000 people at games on a good night, but not nearly that many that really follow the team closely, so I am part of something special.
I can go to a Trojan game and not be embarrassed by a large section of the audience behaving in a totally berserk and vulgar manner so that I would be ashamed to bring my grandchildren to games.
The fans with whom I have had a closer association have been very kind and accommodating.
The program has a good history, enough to be proud of, but not so successful that success means nothing. What is another national championship to UCLA? We have tasted the wine a few times, but not enough so that we aren’t hungry. In fact, we are very hungry, and frustrated by being so close but not getting to post-season in a long time.
The Jack is a fantastic smaller-market venue for basketball. Very fan friendly. Not really a bad seat in the house.
The Sports Information office has a wonderful tool for fans in the media guide. I refer to mine constantly.
We frequently have some young man on the roster who absolutely makes it fun to root for him. Rashad Jones-Jennings, John Fowler, Columbus Willis and Zack Graber are just a few, and I could name a good many more. Quality people who play hard and really make you proud to be a fan.
There have been some really enjoyable moments for me in being a Trojan fan. Like the night Jones-Jennings set the conference rebounding record. Or the wins over Southern Illinois and Creighton. And just listening on the radio to some of the wins over ASU.
Since I only get to attend one or two games a year, getting to go to one is special. I plan toward it for weeks.

No comments: