Monday, March 29, 2010

Shields' weakest performance

I have been a big Steve Shields fan, and remain so. I hope he gets to stay another year so he can have a shot at the all-time UALR coaching wins record.

I thought Steve did an outstanding job the two previous seasons, but no so this last year, which probably was his poorest coaching performance so far. True, he was hindered by the injury to Mike Smith. Still, Steve proved unwilling to adapt to the changed circumstances that were forced upon him.

I am not a fan at all of gunning away from the 3-point range. I like an inside post-up style, but what strength there was on this team was our variety of 3-point shooters. We had almost no post-up game. Steve should have taken more advantage of that strength. Instead, he continued to play to his weakness, and it absolutely killed us. He badly needs to review his mistakes from this season and learn from them. He cannot afford to repeat them.

No comments: