Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Shields has to grow as a coach

There are some things I really like about Steve Shields as a coach. He has a defense-first philosophy, which I love. He apparently runs a clean program, which is a must for me. Most of the players who stick around in his program appear to be high-character individuals. I really like that. And there are other things.

There are a few things Shields is going to have to do better in order for the program to take "the next step," though. He is going to have to do more of his coaching in practice and less in the game. His players tend to be hesitant, and I suspect that is because of his coaching style. Especially at tournament time, that is a real problem. And even though I like the more disciplined game, he is going to have to teach his players to take advantage of fast-break opportunities more. There are easy baskets that we too often pass up.

No comments: