Saturday, January 25, 2014

One more reason to root for Northwestern

I have followed Northwestern for several years, since they are the prototypical underdog team, never having been to the NCAA tournament. I liked Bill Carmody, but he never could get them over the hump, though he got close. I liked Carmody's deliberate offensive style, but I did not like the fact that it was purely white-collar. It was very non-physical, based almost entirely on three-pointers. They just never would get their hands dirty under Carmody.

Norwestern is an elite academic school, and Carmody's white-collar style reflected the school. Well, Carmody is gone, and Chris Collins is the new coach. I did not expect him to take this route, but evidently he has decided for Northwestern to be the Chicago blue-collar team, much like Pitt has become for that city. The team will now reflect the city instead of the school. I like it! That is my kind of basketball. Physical, in-your-face.

Here are a couple of links to articles about Northwestern's transition:
LINK
LINK

No comments: