Monday, October 5, 2015

What about the defense?

We have heard lots about Coach Beard's motion offense, and the offensive skills of the players he has recruited. However, I saw at least one report that called him "a defensive-minded coach." I am not sure what that meant, even if it is true, and I certainly hope it is.

But what about the defense? Is it going to be a priority, or just an afterthought. These days the Powers That Be evidently consider defense to be something subversive and counter-productive. I do not think most coaches buy into that, but everything is being done in high places that can be done to neutralize defenses. I am very curious to see how Coach Beard's defenses play. I hope they will be a hard-nosed, take-no-prisoners, combat-zone defense, but that remains to be seen.

No comments: