Wednesday, June 1, 2016

My introduction to lacrosse

I have had to do a lot of "sitting" with my elderly father lately, and this past Saturday we watched the NCAA Championship lacrosse match. I had seen bits of lacrosse previously, but had never paid much attention to it, but I watched most of this game, and it was fascinating.

First, these players are in shape! They make even soccer players look like pikers. And the poor goalie doesn't have much of a chance with the ball hurtling at him at no-telling-how-many miles per hour. It amazes me how adept the players are at catching and throwing the ball with those little pockets at the ends of their sticks. Great eye-hand coordination.

The scoring is just about right. Little enough that individual goals mean a whole lot more than they do in basketball, but enough so that the game flows right along. I was pretty well impressed with the sport.

No comments: