Monday, July 3, 2017

The outlet pass is a dinosaur

I blame it on the 3-point shot. I could be wrong, but I am sticking with that story until I am proven wrong.

You just do not see the outlet pass these days. Remember when the giants battled for rebounds down low, and as soon as they got the ball they would kick it out to the guards streaking down the floor? Classic fast break. How often do you see that these days? Maybe some, but nowhere nearly as often as in the gold ol' days.

Wes Unseld was one of the great catalysts of the fast break ever to step onto the court. “I’ve never seen an outlet passer like Kevin Love, except when I was kid watching Wes Unseld play,” Cavaliers Coach David Blatt said. Here is a LINK to an article by about Unseld's passing. Here is a LINK to a YouTube video that has some great shots of Unseld's outlet passing. (Plus, Unseld had probably the most intimidating scowl in basketball history.)

Image result for wes unseld

No comments: