Wednesday, February 6, 2019

So close, but still so far

I have studied a ton of team stat sheets in my day. When I look at ours, I would immediately conclude that this team has won a lot more games than we have. Our statistics are not terrible; in fact, they probably are above average.

Little things win ballgames. Sometimes they are things that do not show up on the stat sheet (and a lot that goes to make up good defense does not). The little things that make the difference are usually not things that will get you on Sports Center. This team seems to have an NBA attitude, and that is not a compliment.

We are close to being a fairly good team. I think Porter Moser or Chris Beard could make this into a good team fairly quickly because they would have taken the slop out of the system immediately - and probably would have lost some flashy, selfish players in the process. Walker may get there yet, just at a slower pace, and I am willing to be patient. But at some point any coach has to let the team know that he is the head coach - the only head coach.

No comments: