Sunday, July 31, 2016

Where big guys ought to be

I'll make my case. Many (perhaps most) will disagree with it, and there are no doubt exceptions to this rule. Still this is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

If I have a tall kid, unless he has bona fide, full-fledged guard skills, I do not want him playing on the perimeter on offense. I want him down underneath. My reason for this is simple. Three-point shooters are a dime a dozen; big men are scarce. If I have a big man I want him acting like a big man and not trying to steal a job from some poor little guy. So what if the big guy can shoot three-pointers. Almost everyone can do that these days. What a lot of people cannot do is to play down low. I can find a truckload of players who can shoot three-pointers, but quality big men are scarce as hen's teeth, relatively speaking, so if I have any of them, I want them doing what big men do, which is something I cannot find on every street corner.

No comments: