Thursday, September 7, 2017

What do I require from this team?

We may or may not win many games this season. I do not yet know just how good our talent level is, nor do I know if this staff can properly develop and manage a team, which they did not get done last season. But regardless of all that, there are certain things I want to see, and I will be at least somewhat satisfied this season if I see them.

1. As always, good effort and good attitude. I want to feel like the players are giving the full effort and are listening to the coaches. I did not always feel that last season. I sort of had the feeling some of the players had their own agenda last year.

2. Improvement over the course of the season. This is a young team. I do not know where we will start, but we definitely need to be moving forward at a steady pace throughout the year, and considering where we are starting, that should happen if the players listen well and work hard. This is a season where the total record for the season is less an indicator than how good we are at the end of the season. There may be a few hiccups early on, but the team needs to grow up as it goes.

3. PLAY DEFENSE!!! Little Rock Trojan basketball teams have been known for their defense as long as I have been following them - through three different coaches. Last year we were laughably bad on defense. It was embarrassing. Wes needs to have a rule: If you don't play defense, you don't play.

No comments: