Friday, June 7, 2013

What is a fan?

I consider myself a fan of UALR. But why do I follow the Trojans? For me, it is recreation, pure and simple. I do it for fun and relaxation. I do not do it to stuff my ego that I am a "winner," and therefore it is not necessary to me that the Trojans win in order for me to be a fan. It gives me something to take my mind off the depressing and stressful factors of life. It is a trivial thing, not an important thing. I understand that it has a different role in the lives of others, and so their demands as a fan are different - and that is OK. That is their business. I demand little from the team other than a pleasant diversion. I want them to win, and I root hard for them to win; but when I go to a game with friends and family, if I had a good time, then I am a winner, whether or not the team won.

No comments: