Sunday, October 20, 2013

Optimistic

I am an eternal optimist. Until we lose, we are undefeated. Optimism tells me that if about four important factors break right this could be a really good team. And none of those factors is far-fetched. No one of them is a stretch to imagine happening. That is what optimism tells me.

On the other hand, realism tells me that the odds of all four of them happening in the same year is much greater. That is what has to happen for good years to become memorable years. I think this will be a good team. We would have to really shoot ourselves in the foot or suffer some critical injuries for that not to happen. Whether we can be an elite team in the Belt this year with all the quality teams that look to be at the top of the league, only time will tell. Realism tells me it will be tough.

Pessimism has no place in my thinking in sports. I do it for fun. Sometimes the worst happens, but why worry about it? If it does happen, it absolutely will not affect my life much one way or the other. From the time the pre-season magazine come out to the end of March is about six months. I spend the other months speculating, and my speculation tends to be optimistic. Why not? Why make myself miserable? If I wanted to avoid misery (and I do), I certainly would not put any importance on such an inconsequential thing as sports.

No comments: