Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Revisiting the coaching decision

I do not know for sure, of course, but I think I can guess what Chasse's thought process was in his decision to cut through the process and proceed with hiring Wes.

All-conference Player at the highest level
Assistant Coach at two money conference schools
Assistant at two mid-level schools
Assistant at the juco level
Already familiar with the Little Rock program and the SBC from having been here before
Intimately familiar with our recruiting market

Then Chasse sat down with Wes and was convinced that he had a passion for the program that went beyond being just salesmanship. At that point, he said, "What is there that might be on his resume that is not on his resume? Well, not having been a head coach is about the only thing. Other than that, his resume is ideal. He knows us, he knows our recruiting market, he knows our level of play, he has played and coached at the highest level. Plus, I know him personally, know his family, and have watched him coach up close. I do not have to guess at his character or his ability."

Then, Chasse says to himself, "If I bring in someone with head coaching experience that I do not know intimately, there is always that risk that I bring in some sort of hidden personality quirk like an ungovernable temper, or some character defect, or some sort of personal side-issues that will detract from the team. Yes, he might win a championship, but he might also get us on the front page instead of the sports page. I know what I have with Wes. With virtually everyone else, I can only assume what I have. Right now the risk incurred by shopping further is not worth the potential benefits, which at this point would not be large in any case."

Wes may not pan out to have been a good choice, but I do think that Chasse's decision is entirely logical.

No comments: