Friday, March 31, 2017

Stetson Billings

I always had a soft spot in my heart for Stetson. First of all, I like his name. It has a certain rollicking swagger to it. Second, he was from a small school, and I like to see those kids get a shot at the big time. Third, he was a good defensive player, and I like tough-nosed defense. It was really satisfying to see him get a chance to start several games at the end of his career, and I appreciate Flanigan's doing that. His minutes weren't huge, but he did get to spend a little time in the spotlight before he rode into the sunset.

Through most of his career, Stetson's offensive contributions were negligible. He was a strong defender and a reliable rebounder, but not a scorer. However, he evidently worked hard on his shot in his redshirt season, and ended up being one of our more reliable outside shooters this year (38.7%), albeit on limited attempts. He made his free throws (15 of 17) and had a very solid assist to turnover ratio for his position (1.78). All in all, he had a very solid senior year. He was a role player throughout his career, but he played his role well.

No comments: